Natural Immunity Boosters: Golden Almond Health Store Offers Support for Viral Defense
May 01, 2020 03:53PM
By Allison Gorman
Numerous clinical studies over the past few decades strongly suggest that certain supplements and herbal extracts either fight viruses directly or improve immunity so the body is better equipped to fight off viral invaders, says Brian Mobley, owner of Golden Almond Health Store in Fort Walton Beach.
“Every ancient culture on earth has had various plants they’ve turned to for boosting the body’s immune system, and we’re privileged to have access to many of them today,” Mobley says. “These therapies can be used either preventatively, to stay ahead of possible infections, or at the first onset of symptoms.”
- Echinacea and andrographis extracts plus vitamin D3: “Along with supplementing our own body’s natural vitamin D, echinacea and andrographis have been shown to boost the immune system in a way that stimulates the production of white blood cells, our primary defense against viruses,” Mobley says. He recommends taking echinacea and andrographis only during the time of year when viral threats are at their highest, but taking vitamin D3 indefinitely as long as the dose is appropriate to maintain “high but safe” blood levels. A daily dose of 2,500iu D3 is typically considered safe. Get a blood test before taking more than 5,000iu.
- High-dose vitamin C plus zinc: “Multiple studies have shown that when combined they are specifically effective at reducing symptoms of respiratory infections and shortening the duration of bronchial illnesses,” Mobley says. He recommends taking a “hyperdose” of 500mg to 1000mg of vitamin C, two or three time a day, for a limited duration—either as a preventative or at the onset of symptoms—and 30mg to 50mg of zinc once a day.
- Proteolytic enzymes: When taken on an empty stomach, these enzymes destroy the viral membrane, Mobley says. He recommends taking them morning and night at the onset of symptoms, or once daily as part of a preventive protocol.
- NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine amino acid): Recent studies show that at least 1000mg of NAC taken twice a day may inhibit the replication of some viruses, including some types of flu.
- Elderberry: A half ounce of elderberry syrup taken three to five times a day has been shown to block key viral proteins from attaching to human cells or penetrating cell membranes.
- Colloidal silver: Clinical studies indicate that colloidal silver may destabilize some viruses, although it’s not yet clear which ones, Mobley says. “The effects may depend on the quality of the colloidal silver,” he says. “Less-reputable brands may not be as effective.”
- Salt and baking soda in water: As a preventive therapy for respiratory illnesses, or for a sore throat, Mobley recommends dissolving one teaspoon iodized table salt and one teaspoon baking soda in four ounces of very warm water and gargling with it for a minute, three times a day. “The salinity and alkalinity of the solution creates a hostile environment in the throat for viruses and bacteria, and may thwart progression into the lungs if it’s caught early enough,” Mobley says.
- Thieves essential oil blend: This mixture has been used as a disinfectant for generations, Mobley says. Because essential oils are volatile compounds, they slowly evaporate into the surrounding environment, forming a sort of aura. The “thieves” blend releases terpene compounds that diminish the ability of pathogens to survive.“
While any one of these strategies is a step towards greater immunity, combining multiple therapies together can dramatically increase your chances of staying well during the seasons,” Mobley says.
Golden Almond Health Store is located at 339 Racetrack Rd. NW, Suite 3, Fort Walton Beach, FL. For more information, call t850-863-5811 or visit GoldenAlmond.com.